- 1½ x 411g jars luxury mincemeat
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 50g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Icing sugar, a few fresh berries and a large fresh rosemary sprig (optional), to decorate
- 1. To prepare: Empty the mincemeat into a large bowl and, using a wooden spoon, stir in the grated orange zest and brandy. Sift the self-raising flour and spice together and stir into the mincemeat mixture with the breadcrumbs. Stir in the beaten egg. Spoon into a greased 900ml pudding basin, cover with a circle of pleated greaseproof paper, then a circle of foil and tie around the rim of the basin with string to secure. Loop the string over and tie at the other side to make handles.
- 2. To cook: Put the pudding basin on an upturned saucer in a large, deep pan, and pour in boiling water until it comes halfway up the side of the pudding basin. Cover and steam for 3 hours, topping up the water level occasionally. Alternatively, cover loosely with greaseproof paper and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes.
- 3. To serve: Turn out onto a serving plate, dust with icing sugar then decorate with fresh berries and a sprig of rosemary, if using.